GISCafe
   >> GIS Education
Thread views: 3569 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Rob
(Stranger )
11/14/11 09:47 AM
Problem starting project new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hey guys, so I have a problem just starting my project. I'm in an introductory GIS course at a CSU college and I'm having troubles picking my topic for my project. Here is the exact project outline

"You are required to obtain at least one spatial dataset of personal interest and perform at least two 

spatial analyses and create a final map or maps using the cartographic skills you have obtained. GIS is 

used to answer any number of spatially-related questions. You must develop a question to answer using 

your chosen data and analyses. Examples of analyses you might perform are (and not limited to): 

- Spatial joins and relates

- Overlays

- Spatial Statistics

- Raster Analysis

To acquire your dataset, you can either use data mining techniques (we will discuss this more in detail), 

request data from a number of agencies (governmental agencies hold a number of spatial datasets free 

to the public), or create your own data. You will learn data acquisition/creation skills throughout the 

semester, so don’t fret much at this point. Furthermore, you are not limited to the amount of data and 

analyses you perform. Although, keep in mind the time constraints involved and feasibility of some of 

the analyses that can be performed with your given dataset(s). "

That is the project and what interests me most is the NFL. I want to do something that relates to the NFL if anyone watches or follows sports here. What would be some good topics for it because I'm having troubles thinking of a topic.

scrabblehack
(Stranger )
11/15/11 07:11 AM
Re: Problem starting project new [re: Rob]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

If you were doing MLB, NHL, or NBA you could do the travelling salesman problem. 
But in the NFL the teams return home after every away game.  Now you would minimize travel costs in the NFL if you scheduled each team 8 consecutive home games but that would be aesthetically displeasing. 

One thing you might look at in the NFL is the assignment of primary and secondary TV markets.  You can easily see the flaws in this analysis:

http://titanscentral.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=3175987&trail=30

I suppose you could argue some of these are tertiary markets:

http://the506.com/sports/?p=424

http://the506.com/sports/?p=428

Looking at assignment of divisions would be trickier - it's hard to quantify the value of preserving certain rivalries. 

ddalzell
(Stranger )
11/17/11 11:56 AM
Re: Problem starting project [re: Rob]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Rob.  Big fan of the NFL here.   This is what I'd do if I were in your situation.  Id acquire the 2010 or 2000 census data which is easy enough.  Then I'd plot out each NFL stadium.  I'd look into the question of how many people (population) does each NFL team cater to.  What is the population of the cities with NFL teams.  Are there cities with greater populations without NFL teams? maybe run some theissen polygons and see where the population is the greatest and suggest that maybe there should be another NFL team in the area.    End result would equal a new U.S. map with the new locations of NFL teams that demonstrates equal population among all markets. ....Just an idea

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Trimble
Teledyne Optech
CADalog.com - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy