>> GIS Education
Thread views: 43082 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

(Stranger )
07/31/06 02:30 PM
intersections in ArcMap new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

i am quite new to GIS, I have a shp file with roads on (5 types each with dif IDs)(as lines). I have a second shp file with polygons of local districts. Is there some way that i can make ArcMap (9.1) compute say which districts are not intersected by road types 1 and 2 ? If so how would I do this ? Any help would be gratefully received. Thanks

small light
(Stranger )
09/07/06 09:27 AM
Re: intersections in ArcMap new [re: bt23]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I don't meaning you very well, in gis are four different type of extension, shp is one of them. You want to ask if this extension can compute with another extension (software)
Sorry if i don't understanding what you want to know.
Best regards

(Stranger )
09/11/06 09:15 AM
Re: intersections in ArcMap [re: bt23]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Click on the Selection menu at the top of ArcMap. Pick Select by Attribute. Select the roads that are of the type you are interested in (preview on screen to make sure you got what you want). Go back to the Selection menu, but this time pick Select by Location. You will want to "Select features from" your polygon shapefile that "intersect" your road shahpefile. Make sure the box is checked that says "Use selected features" - hit Apply. This will give you the polygons that intersect with the road types of interest. To get the polygons that do not intersect, in the Table of Contents right click the name of the polygon shapefile and pick Selection - Switch Selection. This should give you the polygons you want.

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Teledyne Optech
Teledyne: - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy