>> GIS Education
Thread views: 29378 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

(Stranger )
02/02/07 02:57 PM
Multiple UTM Zones Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

If I have UTM locations (points) from multiple zones, what is the best way to map them? Should I just make shapefiles for each zone?

What if I wanted to have only one shapefile which includes points from different zone?

Please help me ~!

(Stranger )
02/06/07 07:11 AM
Re: Multiple UTM Zones new [re: paco]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I work for a large land management agency, and we have this problem too. You can keep the files tiled by UTM zone if you want, but it makes layouts more complicated. If you do this you will also have to make sure that the tiles edgematch across UTM zones - more work if you make frequent changes! We use ArcGis, and it handles projections on the fly well as long as you have defined your projection (have a .prj file). The way I prefer to deal with this is to project vector data in geographic (latitude/longitude), and then define the projection of my .mxd on a project-by-project level to ensure that data lines up with any raster data that may not project on-the-fly as well. You can then match the .mxd projection to whatever the UTM zone is for the area of interest. There is no perfect answer for this - there are advantages and disadvantages to both ways, but this works the best for me.

Hope this helps.

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Textron - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy