GISCafe
   >> GIS Education
Thread views: 63248 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

indiana
()
04/10/03 05:21 AM
Need Help with Arc 8- using the intersection tool Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I have two shapefiles. Both are lines and I am trying to create a new shapefile consisting of points. (Points being where these line shapefiles intersect) The software says that one shapefile must be a polygon so I created a buffer out of one. When I went through the steps, the result was a line shapefile and not what I wanted. Do you have a solution to this problem? Thanks.

Longenecker
(Stranger )
04/10/03 05:59 AM
Re: Need Help with Arc 8- using the intersection tool new [re: indiana]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

There are two ways to do this one manual one that involves scripts. I only know how to do the manual method.

Manual Way (But Reliable)
I suggest you create a point shapefile using the same projection/coordinate system you've used for the other two shapefiles.
Then bring all 3 shapefiles into the TOC of a map project. Start an edit session with the new point shapefile then follow these ESRI instructions.
Creating a point or vertex using the Intersection tool
1.Click the tool palette dropdown arrow and click the Intersection tool .
The pointer turns into crosshairs.

2.Position the crosshairs over the first segment you want to create an interesection with, and click.
A line extends from that segment across the map display so that you can see the first angle used to construct the point of intersection.

3.Position the crosshairs over the second segment and click.
A vertex or point is added at the implied intersection of the two segments.

Rinse and Repeat

Longenecker

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Trimble
CADalog.com - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy