>> GIS Education
Thread views: 58389 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

(Stranger )
05/07/03 06:00 PM
Advice Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I am a graduate of a geography program with a Bachelor of Arts. My emphasis in school was on environmental resource management and I took a few introductory GIS courses. I would like to continue to expand my GIS skills and eventually work in the field. However, there seem to be few entry level opportunities in my area (Austin,TX). I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on whether a GIS certificate program would be a good investment to help me get the skills I need to attain a GIS position.

(Stranger )
09/30/03 07:22 AM
Re: Advice new [re: ashley830]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I would say no at this point as to get a GIS certificate. If you are going back to school, I'd say do a non-thesis Master's degree, which you could focus on taking more classes than worrying about a thesis. Most university dept. that have a GIS certificate program only require about 18 hours, and you could get a Master's for about 30 hours. Also, there are no GIS certificate standards and most people won't know what it exactly is or consists of. Good luck (I wish I were in Austin!)

(Stranger )
10/05/03 07:16 PM
Re: Advice new [re: ashley830]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I would definetly agree with the previous response. Don't waste your time with a certificate at ths point in the game. I would highly suggest you join as many local/regional GIS user groups as you can. GIS basics, networking and a real chance to litmus test the industry to see if this is the right career path for you, can all be achieved after attending two or three user group meetings/seminars.

(Stranger )
12/03/03 12:00 PM
Re: Advice new [re: Longenecker]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I certainly agree with Longnecker on joining user groups. I also think that 2 years of GIS tech experience will get you further faster than another two years of school. Many jobs can be myopic, the user groups and conferences are great for opening your eyes to what else is going on in the industries.

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Textron - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy