GISCafe
   >> GIS Education
Thread views: 42368 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Guildenstern
(Stranger )
08/18/03 06:49 AM
Should we study these? Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hello all!

I?m a GIS student in a big university, with high ambitions for a career in the industry.

I?m trying to find out whether undertaking the following university courses will serve me well when I come to look for employment in GIS, and in my daily work as well.

Also, to what extent do you guys use the following?

? Avenue and AML programming (especially now that the new ArcView 8 only work with VBA macros)
? Visual Basic (not VBA though)
? SQL programming
? MS Access and databases
? SPSS and Spatial Data Analysis

I?m trying to design a degree that will be both beneficial and useful for my career in GIS. If you can think of other things that will be useful when approaching GIS employers, by all means please put them down.

Cheers,

Guildenstern

Mike Exon
(Stranger )
08/19/03 09:29 AM
Re: Should we study these? new [re: Guildenstern]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hi,

I am a developer and my work in a company with consultants and developers. So here are my views....

SQL is very useful an is used in most major GIS as well as main stream DBMS. It is essential for any development role or data role and gets used all the time by analysts/consultants.

Visual Basic would be a great idea as VBA is very close to VB and VB.net is just a fully OO vb. With the death of avenue ESRI can only be scripted in VBA and can be extended in VB and C++ or .Net. Intergraph geomedia is COM compliant extendable (VB, C++, Delphi). MapInfo is due to go .Net (inclue vb.net) for customisation in the next release. Plus mapbasic is v simialr to vb. There are loads of Mapping components that can be interacted with using VB. Its the most common language for GIS.

I personally would not touch AML and avenue. They have a low long term disireability as a skill set.

MS Access and databases. All GIS use a form of database. There is a general move away from flat file to proper databases like Oracle and SQLServer etc. Access would be agoo starting point to understand relational databases. As a consultant/analyst you need to interact with the databases so it is usefull to know and understand them.

Spatial data analysis - great if you want to be an analyst or consultant but not essential for development or data work. Analysis tends to be v domain specific but general concepts are great start.

I i was in your shoes again. It would start to think about the direction you want to take your gis now. Try and look for some work experience. ESRI offer internships and many other companys will take you on for short term contracts.

I would say experience is the top on any employers list so your choice of final projct/dissertation will make a big difference if it is in a field close to what your final role is.

Best of all pick courses you will enjoy. You will kick yourself if you have to sit through tonnes of boring stuff after all those nights out on the town!!! :-)

good luck

Mike

Guildenstern
(Stranger )
08/20/03 07:49 AM
Re: Should we study these? new [re: Guildenstern]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Thanks for your input, Mike, i really appreciate it. It?s good to know what's going on in the industry from someone who's actually in the bowl, rather from academics who only worked with the military or the academia.

I have already started doing avenue and surprise surprise i do struggle with it a bit. Mostly due to the lack of available literature and additional exercise (know thee of any, btw?).

Cheers,
Guildenstern :-)

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Trimble
CADalog.com - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy