>> GIS Education
Thread views: 17037 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

(Stranger )
06/26/07 10:55 AM
Slow point editing Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

When editing point shapefiles, I am finding that speed at which it takes to select, move, and regen is very time consuming.  When edits need to be done quickly, it is more efficient for me to use a CAD program than arcGIS.  Is there a setting which can be changed to speed up the editing process in arcGIS?

Thanks in advance.

(Stranger )
06/28/07 09:01 AM
Re: Slow point editing new [re: airickjay]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I think you are not alone with this 'problem'.  I'm not an ESRI GURU by any means - just one of those, like you, who struggles with the program's limitations at times.  Editing in ArcMap is like watching water boil.

Believe it or not, editing in the older ArcView v3.x is faster!  Use this if you have it and stick with the shapefile format for transferring your datasets between the programs.

If you have a bunch of editing and need it quickly, definitely go with a CAD program.  Just be aware that (1) you will have to deal with back-and-forth export/import format (since CAD can't read the native shapefile format) and (2) you will have to also deal with the projection/coordinate system/datum problems and data transformations when going from CAD2GIS (unless you have AutoCAD Map).

[To deal with this directly and not have to go through the heartache of setting it up in CAD, I generally create a shapefile in ArcMap with all the parameters you will need to complete it such as projection, coords, etc., draw a few objects in it for reference -bounding boxes, buildings, etc., THEN export to CAD.  All your georeferencing is retained therein.  Bring the drawing back into ArcMap, convert to shapefile and you're off and running.]

Hope this helps?

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Teledyne: - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy