GISCafe
   >> GIS Education
Thread views: 35146 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

shermaky
(Stranger )
05/02/04 07:00 PM
GIS use Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I am most interested in finding out questions I should address in considering setting up a GIS system to support the activities of small town planning department. I would greatly appreciate if you know some of the questions I should be considering.
cheers
Shermaky

Remy
(Stranger )
05/04/04 08:14 AM
Re: GIS use new [re: shermaky]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I worked in the Phoenix Planning Department for many years and I used GIS to support the planning process. Feel free to correspond with me further about this question which is near and dear to my heart.

Inputs: Do you have GIS files to support address matching? You'll want to be able to create dot maps showing where businesses and residences are based on their addresses.

Do you have GIS files to support zoning map and general plan changes?

Do you have GIS files to show existing land uses and expected changes in land use?

Do you have GIS files to show property boundaries and ownership? This should be linked to value of improvements on the parcels.

Have you spoken with other departments about their possible use of GIS? GIS has the potential to provide a way of facilitating data sharing and promoting interdepartmental discussions if all departments use it. Of course, sharing is going to require some form of network.

The more departments use GIS, the better chances that it will be funded adequately over time. Make sure that all town property, facilities, and district boundaries are included in your GIS files.

Use GIS to facilitate discussions with the public. You might start with static jpeg maps on a web site, but eventually you will want interactive maps on the Web. That takes special software and hardware to accomplish.

Whatever you do, decide what products or services you can provide in the first year with the files you can easily obtain. Show off these items while you work on the creation of files that may take awhile to digitize.

Involve the decision-makers early on. Get their input as to geographical information they feel would be useful. Show them what you can do now and give them an estimate what it would cost to develop the other information they want.

Use high school and college students to do the menial work, but ensure you plan for quality controls. In one city, high school students, under the direction of their teacher created the entire GIS for their town.

Involve the media as often as you can so that more people will become aware of the value of these tools.

When you are ready, ask your customers to provide their data in a GIS-ready form.

Get involved with the GIS at levels above your jurisdiction. They may have files you can use or adapt for your purpose.

(602) 534-6847
(602) 481 2596
200 W Washington St (12th Floor)
Phoenix AZ 85004

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Trimble
Teledyne Optech
University of Denver GIS Masters Degree Online
CADalog.com - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy