>> GIS Education
Thread views: 12595 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

(Stranger )
08/13/07 03:53 PM
ArcMap; Creating Address Locators new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hi there,

I am a GIS beginner currently trying to build an accurate address locator for our city. I've created one prevously from a street centre layer using:
This did make an address locator, but it still seems to be missing many addresses, I think this is just due to incompleteness of the layer file I'm using to create it.

I do have another file, it is a .csv file which has much more information on it including house number, street name, street suffix, and most importantly an x and y coordinate for every property in the city, it's about 1.5million rows. Is there a way for which I can use this .csv file to create an Address Locator which will find each property based on it's x & y cooridnate?

I hope this makes sense, I'm still getting used to the lingo!

(Stranger )
08/14/07 07:41 AM
Re: ArcMap; Creating Address Locators [re: zep]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Based on your description, you should be able to do this.  You will set up the Address Locator using one of the "One Address" styles depending on the exact fields available and how you choose to store the reference data.

You will need to convert your .csv data to either a shapefile or a geodatabase feature class.  This should be fairly easy using the "Add X,Y Data" button on the ArcMap interface and then saving the resulting layer as a feature class.  There is also an ArcCatalog procedure to accomplish the same thing.

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Teledyne Optech
University of Denver GIS Masters Degree Online
Bentley: YII 2016 - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy