GISCafe
   >> GIS Education
Thread views: 63266 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

donaldam
(Stranger )
01/21/05 06:01 AM
How is this done in GIS? Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I know almost nothing about GIS, but it occurred to me that the capability I'm looking for might be a GIS feature, so here goes:

If one wants to assign a bounded item (polygon) to a database field, how would that be done.

Is this only a manual process, or are there automated ways of identifying polygons and then assigning identities to each one to enable linking to a database fileld?

What are the requirements for the graphic being used as the source? Does it have to be a certain type of file?

What tools or software would be used to do such a task?

Thank you for entertaining my attempts to learn.

RHoopes
(Stranger )
04/21/05 05:14 PM
Re: How is this done in GIS? new [re: donaldam]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

The polygon's attribute table will have to have a field in it that is the same as one in the other database, known as a key field. Each record in this field should be unique from all the others. Once you have your polygons digitized and have a key field for the attribute table and database you can join the two together. It is a very simple function in Arcmap 8.3. The database table will have to be in DBASE-IV format to be used in ArcMap.

maphound
(Stranger )
06/17/05 06:08 AM
Re: How is this done in GIS? new [re: donaldam]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

If you don't have a common field, you might be able to construct one by putting the labels to another cover....
by default Arc/Info will number the labels from north to south...so you might be able to figure out which poly is which....maybe not if your map is complicated....

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Trimble
Teledyne Optech
University of Denver GIS Masters Degree Online
CADalog.com - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy