GISCafe
   >> GIS Education
Thread views: 15171 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

candybecca928
(Stranger )
12/07/07 08:51 PM
Question? Newbie help Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hello!

Sorry for such newbie questions; but I'm trying to learn :)

What I want to do is get a map of the united states; either created, or template.

I  want to be able to input the "population" of each state into the attributes table and then display the population by color scaled in the "Symbology" mechanisms.

I have done somethig like this before but I forget how; whether I had a template or what?

If anyone could offer any ideas i'd be much obliged.

Thanks for your continued assistance!

candybecca928
(Stranger )
12/07/07 09:21 PM
Re: Question? Newbie help new [re: candybecca928]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I just figured out how to do this. (by using a conterminous template USA map - the attributes table had "population" field - beautiful.

Now I have another question - How would I display the RATE of change? (say that in 1990 population was 10,000, and 2000 population was 20,000, how could I display this with symbology? Any additional information/help would be excellent!

Thanks

bihodge
(Stranger )
12/18/07 02:13 PM
Re: Question? Newbie help new [re: candybecca928]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

You will need to add a field to your population attribute table, using the % increase in population between two selected periods; keep the numbers as whole numbers for ease of use.

Then, from the Layer Properties dialog box, select Symbology......Categories.....Unique Values.....choose your new field in the 'Value Field' menu, then click 'Add All Values'.  From here, you can select your own symbols for each increase quanty.

Or, for more advanced symbology, choose the 'Quantities' instead of 'Categories' in the Symbology tab, and let ArcMap determine the proportional symbol size or graduated color or symbol category, still based on your new field.

Good luck.

Bill

Bill; GIS Analyst

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Trimble
CADalog.com - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy