>> GIS Education
Thread views: 20161 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

(Stranger )
11/30/07 07:51 PM
ArcMap Newbie Help new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Allow me to introduce myself; I am Sandra working to conduct a study for my company.

I am basically interested in loading a map of my business location (approximately 5-6 buildings.. less than .5 square miles) and highlighting areas that are effectively accomodated in accordance to the lighting schematics.

Each Light post emits a radius of 60 feet of lighting. I wish to signify this somehow; perhaps with circles of some sort; essentially representing this with 60 feet diameter circles in the map. I hope my query makes sense. How is the simplest way to go about this using arcMAP?

To summarize:

1) How would I be able to import a map of my business into arcMAP? (I can find it using google earth - could I export it via there some how?)
2) How could I best represent the 60 diameters of light that signify the light coverage?

Any additional information would be invaluable.

If you would like to contact me on AOL my account is "Candybecca928"

I appreciate any assistance.

(Stranger )
12/04/07 12:19 PM
Re: ArcMap Newbie Help new [re: candybecca928]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Sandra, the easiest way to use a Google Earth image in ArcMap is to set up the view in GE the way you want to use it and export as a jpg image. (File...Save....Save Image....)

In ArcMap, import the jpg image in exactly the way you would add a layer or raster image, through the 'Add Data' dialog box.  If you want to use the imported image as-is, with no additional references, no georeferencing is necessary;  ArcMap will display the image, even without a prj file attached.  

If you want to view it in its actual position, you will need to georeference it.

The light ring circles and any labels required can be added directly with the draw tools included in ArcMap, either in the Data Frame or Layout view.  (Toolbars.....Draw)

Good luck.

Bill; GIS Analyst

(Stranger )
12/13/07 05:22 AM
Re: ArcMap Newbie Help [re: candybecca928]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Actually, yo can do it all in ArcMap, without using any addtl extensions.  First create a table of your office locations with the street address, city, state and ZIP in separate fileds.  You can have other fields like office name, or whatever you want too.  If you're using 9.2 it will take an excel file, otherwise create it as a DBF, or in MS ACCESS (or a geodatabase - though not as easy as Ecel or Access for a small list like you have).  Then add that table using the "add data" button.  Nest use tools>geocode, sleect one of the geocoding tools that comes with arcmap.  It uses the Teleatlas / StreetMap USA layer to geocode.  It's pretty accurate.  Alternately, you do a find>address for each and get the lat & lon from that, add that you your table, then bring the table in as an X / Y layer. 

To get your buffers, use the proximity tools in arctoolbox  and you can create a buffer in whatever units you like (feet, miles, etc) for the locations you added above.

Good Luck!

Geographer, Buffalo, NY

(Stranger )
12/23/07 12:21 PM
Re: ArcMap Newbie Help new [re: candybecca928]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Although you may want to use gis software, it sounds as though you want to focus on lighting.  For that I would suggest that you use lighting analysis software such as Visual.  The 60' circles that you want to portray appears as you may want to show a certain level of footcandles (light levels).  Visual is reasonably priced at $100. USD.

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Teledyne: - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy