>> GIS Education
Thread views: 14860 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

(Stranger )
02/25/08 12:53 PM
Filepaths Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

My question is with regard to filepath representation on templates.  In the maps that I print, I like to put the filepath in the margin of the map, so that finding it in the future either by myseslf or someone else would be as simple as following the written filepath.  I know that in AutoCAD it is possible to create a field that automatically displays this information. e.g. C:\Projects\Drawing.dwg.  Is it possible to create a field as such in ArcMap, that will automatically display the filename and filepath? e.g C:\Projects\map.mxd?  Is there a VBA script for this? A Python script?  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

(Stranger )
03/18/08 09:36 AM
Re: Filepaths new [re: Diomedes]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Diomedes -

ESRI left off a lot of simple tools that you would think should be there - but developers and users, as always, come to the rescue!

There is, in fact, a tool (several) for this exact operation.  Go to ESRI's support/downloads/ArcMap site and search for "document path" "path date" or other such search string.  I found one called: "Document Path Date and Time" that I use all the time.

Also plan on spending some more time perusing the site. There is a wealth of addon tools, scripts, etc. to make your life with ArcMap easier.

(Stranger )
03/28/08 10:30 AM
Re: Filepaths new [re: jgarner]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I did exactly what you mentioned soon after I posted my question back in February.  I found a few possible solutions, and lots of other interesting things.  Thank you for your time and your response.

Edited by Diomedes on 03/28/08 10:32 AM.

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Teledyne Optech
University of Denver GIS Masters Degree Online
Teledyne: - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy