GISCafe
   >> GIS Tools
Thread views: 1861 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

forestrynick
(Stranger )
01/15/13 08:05 AM
handheld gps Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hi all,

I work for a woodland management company in the UK. We have a number of old handheld garmin GPS 60 units that we use for mapping planting areas and woodland boundaries. They aren't particularly accurate with +/- 10m accuracy even in open areas (next to useless under canopy). I'm allowed to buy a new one but not sure it's worth it.

So I'm looking for a basic GPS for mapping purposes that has better accuracy, particularly under tree canopy. I fully realise that properly accurate mapping would require expensive and sophisticated equipment which we can't justify. Just looking to get the best we can afford. Budget would be £200 max, prefer less to be honest!

What should I be looking for? What do you recommend? 

Nick

Paul Saunders
(Stranger )
01/15/13 02:15 PM
Re: handheld gps new [re: forestrynick]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hi Nick

an EGNOS enabled GPS will bring you down to 1-2 m accuracy in the UK.  You are lucky, we do not have this luxury down here in Oz.

More details;

http://egnos-portal.gsa.europa.eu/discover-egnos/programme-information/status

cheers

Paul

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Trimble
Teledyne Optech
University of Denver GIS Masters Degree Online
CADalog.com - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy