GISCafe
   >> GIS Tools
Thread views: 24821 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

bys58
(Stranger )
01/10/07 12:53 PM
Autodesk Map 3D & ESRI ArcMap Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I have a presentation about Autodesk Map 3D, and I am looking for advice from more seasoned professionals. I have been in GIS for just less than 1 year so my expertise is somewhat limited. The people that will be present at this presentation will be a majority of ESRI users. I was hoping some of you on here would provide some of you experiences of using the Autodesk product (both positive and negative).

Thanks,
Brian Stein

houseofcakes
(Stranger )
01/11/07 12:13 PM
Re: Autodesk Map 3D & ESRI ArcMap new [re: bys58]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hi:

I've been an ESRI user for about 10 years and have been using Autodesk for a couple years now. At work we use both and have users that are more comfortable in one or the other system. Here are few of my observations:

- Map 3D 2007 is nice in that it connects directly to ArcSDE data so AutoCAD users and ArcGIS users can edit the same data. This allows for more precise (and intuitive) edits using the CAD tools rather than ESRI's "sketch"-based edit tools, which are ridiculous. I'm only starting to use the SDE feature in Map 3D, but it seems really promising. Map 3D also supports versioning of the SDE data.

- If you work with imagery, you will find the image transformation tools in Map 3D are pretty sparse. Unless there are better tools buried away somewhere in Map 3D, a 2-point transformation or rubbersheeting is all you have. I use ArcGIS for image work.

- Map 3D offers some other GIS features like topology creation and various overlay tools, but generally for this stuff I stick with ArcGIS. I'm going to try out Autodesk's take on topology though, because I've found geodatabase (ArcGIS) topology to be mushy and undependable compared with its implementation in coverages (Arc Workstation).

Hope you find this helpful.

Colin01
(Stranger )
01/08/09 01:26 AM
Re: Autodesk Map 3D & ESRI ArcMap new [re: bys58]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hi Brian

Where arew you based?  I can tell you that both products are good, as for Map the following advantages it has above ESRI where ESRI also has advantages above Map.  MAP 100% supports Shape files, you have the ability with map to properly communicate between your CAD/GIS environment.  Although ESRI claims they can do so as well, there are some problems.  Map then also has a drawing cleanup facility, which allows you to clean up inaccurate data, if you have nodes that needs to snap it automatically can fix it.  Map avoids duplication, stale data and data loss.  For more info on map contact me at colin@aisel.co.za.  It seems you might be is SA?

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Click here for Internet Business Systems © 2014 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 210, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408) 850-9202 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and EngineeringEDACafe - Electronic Design AutomationTechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes	MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and EngineeringShareCG  - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy