GISCafe
   >> GIS Tools
Thread views: 27671 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

csbpbm
(Stranger )
01/06/04 06:10 AM
GIS developer toolkits-urgency Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hi there,

I am a Masters student in the Computer Science Department from the University of Port Elizabeth (South Africa).

I am currently involved in a research project, which is about the visualisation of shark movement in South African waters. One of the requirements of the research is the development of a 3D Geographic Information System (GIS) that would allow the Port Elizabeth aquarium to perform both tracking and analysis operations, in an effort to study juvenile shark behaviour in coastal areas of Port Elizabeth. Shark data will be provided from tagging systems (e.g. GPS and satellite tags) while temperature and weather data will be provided by local environmentalists. Such data will be useful in determining juvenile shark movements in relation to climate changes and the environment

Considering that I am a novice to GIS, and seriously lack the appropriated tools required to develop such a system, I will welcome any advice on how to approach this dilemma. Even better, I will appreciate deeply those that could recommend any GIS developer toolkits that can assit in implemeting the software.

I am anxious to hear from you,

Pascal.

PS: contact address: csbpbm@upe.ac.za

epoizot
(Stranger )
04/06/04 02:14 AM
Re: GIS developer toolkits-urgency new [re: csbpbm]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hi,

I do not understand all of the goals of your project. But if it could be of help, I use to be involved in a project that was based on dolphins behaviour study. It was initialy to build a GIS database of dolphins behaviour observations and then created some maps of frequences of observations correlated with observed behaviour.
If it's of interest, I can try to give my experience on that aspect.

Regards

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Topcon
Geographic Data Manager
GIS Technical Project Manager
Software Sales/Account Executive- Commercial Accounts
CADalog.com - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Click here for Internet Business Systems © 2014 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 210, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408) 850-9202 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and EngineeringEDACafe - Electronic Design AutomationTechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes	MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and EngineeringShareCG  - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy