GISCafe
   >> GIS Tools
Thread views: 21110 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

dariopozder
(Stranger )
03/13/08 12:00 PM
HEEELP! I need a guru! Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I.m having problems with UTM to lat/long conversion.

Last week I took measurments in UTM (user datum, I guess???) but I had to take them in lat/long.

Now I cant convert them tu lat/long because I get false coordinates(wrong by far). All measurment were taken in Croatia, Europe and coordinates in lt/long put me in GRENLAND or different places. GPS Garmin works fine, because it gave me good positioning on the terrain, but I'm simply to stupid for GIS:-(

I tryed several tools for conversion,  entered my x,y coordinates, N hemisphere and 33 zone but they all put me in differnet places. I cant take the measurment again becase the places are farraway from my home.

Today i took measurments in front of my home with the same GPS (garmin gpsMAP 76s) in UTM ( it says USR right next to the y) and they are

Osijek, Croatia

and took them in lat/long also:

45 33 ' 22.0''

18 39' 07.7''

when I take these UTM figures and put them in convertion tools I cant get these L/L values ...where did it go wrong.

One of those problematic UTM measurments from terrain are:

CAN ANYBODY CONVERT THOSE IN L/L SO THEY ARE POSITIONED IN CROATIA???

lfaulkner
(Stranger )
03/14/08 11:44 AM
Re: HEEELP! I need a guru! new [re: dariopozder]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

dariopozder,

I've tried converting your UTM inputs and they don't come near Croatia. Even changing the zone from 34, up or down, only affects the Easting so I would say you will have to re-acquire those points. Sorry.

Lawrence Faulkner, President, Solid Terrain Modeling, Inc.

madamesoybean
(Stranger )
03/17/08 04:45 PM
Re: HEEELP! I need a guru! new [re: dariopozder]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I put your lat long coordinates into Google Earth and they come up as being in Croatia!

Maybe you are viewing in the wrong coordinate system/datum? 

Google Earth is in UTM WGS 1984. (UTM WGS 84) You may be viewing your GPS data in something else.

Good Luck! 

LenS
(Stranger )
03/19/08 06:51 AM

Not a guru - but just a sugestion

go to Manifold GIS and download a small internet explorer plugin (freebee) http://www.manifold.net/toolbar/ then you can test your lat/long to see if you collected the data corectly - this is the first step and just looking at the UTM numbers you are supplying they appear to be truncated (offset) of somesort

Hope this helps

scrabblehack
(Stranger )
03/26/08 10:16 AM

I think you're out of luck. I was thinking that USR might be Universal Polar Stereographic, if the Croatian word for "Polar" begins with an R. North of the 84th parallel, UTM becomes UPS.

However the coordinates are not right for them to be UPS.

5045931 appears to be about right for 45 N. However changing the zone doesn't seem to sufficiently correct the easting, and if it does (say zone 18 instead of 33 or 34, then the northing is way off)

scrabblehack
(Stranger )
03/27/08 09:09 AM

Check out http://www.epsg-registry.org/report.htm?type=selection&entity=urn:x-ogc:def:crs:EPSG:31275&entity=urn:x-ogc:def:crs:EPSG:31276&entity=urn:x-ogc:def:crs:EPSG:31277&entity=urn:x-ogc:def:crs:EPSG:31279&reportDetail=long&style=urn:uuid:report-style:default-with-code&style_name=OGP%20Default%20With%20Code&title=Balkan

If that doesn't work for you, do a web search for Croatia, easting, datum, transverse mercator, and such.

It appears that the Croatians use what the Canadians call 3TM, which is transverse mercator based on 3 degree zones instead of the usual 6. It further appears that Croatia uses much larger eastings (5500000-8500000) than are used in the United States of America (500000). That being said, I was still unable to get (6551335, 5045931) to equal (18 39' 07.7'',45 33 ' 22.0"), although I came a great deal closer than with conventional UTM. I tried DATUM HER instead of the usual NAD27 and NAD83 as well. The Y coordinate seems about right but the X is still way off.

Good luck.

scrabblehack
(Stranger )
03/28/08 08:35 AM
Re: HEEELP! I need a guru! new [re: scrabblehack]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I made a slight mistake yesterday. 

I believe the above is substantially correct, although I'm still off by about 427 meters.  Using the above, I have converted (18 39' 07.7',45 33 ' 22.0") to (6550908,5045939).  Is there anything else you can tell us about the GPS settings? 

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Trimble
CADalog.com - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy