GISCafe
   >> GIS User News and Reviews
Thread views: 13532 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

ebnesom
(Stranger )
02/29/08 07:47 AM
Pictometry Review Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I'd like to see some reviews from pictometry users, and maybe answer a few questions.

1. How it works with sde data, oracle data, other formats such as CAD (autodesk).

2. How it works in arcgis.

3. Any percieved inaccuracy ( I am aware it is second order positional accuracy).

4  License management.

other comments

Thanks

texassun
(Stranger )
01/15/09 07:16 PM
Re: Pictometry Review new [re: ebnesom]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

We have had Pictometry fly our county twice in the past 3 years and the imagery is used heavily thoughout our county and now several cities within our county are using it as well.  It has become a must have and we will likely continue to fly it every 2 years, and possibly go to annual flights at some point. 

The Pictometry software reads GIS data directly from our ArcSDE database, so it integrates well there.  We also have their ArcGIS Extension which allows you to use the obliques in ArcView.  This has been useful in identifying features that cannot be seen in an ortho.  We don't use AutoCAD, so I can't comment on that.

As for accuracy, that was a concern of ours at first, but they processed the data with our LiDAR and our GIS data overlays perfectly on the obliques.  We tested the accuracy of the orthos that are delivered with the obliques and they were identical to the imagery from our previous ortho vendor, however the Pictometry imagery is much clearer and the colors are more realistic.  All in all it has been a good investment for our county.

JeffJ
(Stranger )
01/19/10 11:31 AM
Re: Pictometry Review new [re: ebnesom]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

We are a large, rather rural county in Northern Nevada and we had Pictometry fly mainly populated areas and AG land. We are NOT happy with what we received. The tiles cannot be overlapped, so large parcels have only a portion of the photo. Also we had trouble with the "good" photos as well, presumably because of elevation. In other words, we did not really get what we paid for and they say it is because of elevation. However, where our town is located is in a wide valley and I have trouble believing that excuse especially where some places it is OK and others it is not. Overall for the cost, this was a waste for us.

As far as it working with the programs, I don't know of any problems. Just unhappy with the results and no apparent resolution. 

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Topcon
softmouse 3D

Click here for Internet Business Systems © 2014 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 210, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408) 850-9202 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and EngineeringEDACafe - Electronic Design AutomationTechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes	MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and EngineeringShareCG  - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy