GISCafe
   >> Data and Metadata
Thread views: 61562 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Jayd10
(Stranger )
02/07/03 09:04 PM
GIS data Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I'm a student in my last semester of University and I am conducting a project involving siting a recreational facility in Northeast California (Lake Tahoe area). However, I'm having problems finding data (especially DEM) that is free, I've tried most data clearinghouses, etc, and do not have the monetary resources to purchase data as I am a student.

If anyone could help me out with data for the state of california or that region in particular (especially more detailed data) that would be greatly appreciated.

You can reach me at my email jasondown1@hotmail.com

Thank you
Jason

Longenecker
(Stranger )
02/10/03 05:29 PM
Re: GIS data new [re: Jayd10]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Have you tried Census Bureau (http://www.census.gov/)? I'm not entriely sure about what kind of information you seek so if you could provide more detail I may be able to further assist you.

J. Longenecker

rheitzman
()
04/12/03 08:07 AM
Re: GIS data new [re: Jayd10]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Kind of old - but maybe others will find this useful:

mapmart.com provides USGS DEMs for free. 10m DEMs are provided were available in addition to the standard 30m DEMs.

USGS has a "seamless" data server that also provides free data. Only 30m now I believe.

RHoopes
(Stranger )
04/21/05 05:04 PM

GIS Data Depot has USGS DEMs at 10m and 30m for free. They have other useful data as well.

http://data.geocomm.com/

Nigel
(Stranger )
11/22/05 09:41 AM
Re: GIS data new [re: RHoopes]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

NASA updated their SRTM data in June 2005. This data is now corrected for water bodies are which were previously very noisy.

ftp://e0srp01u.ecs.nasa.gov/srtm/version2

I use three resolutions of data here depending upon availability these are 1 arcsecond, 3 arcsecond and 30 arcsecond. I do not understand the Datum for the 30 arcsecond data since the heights do not seem to be as I understand them. Specifically in Ghana there is a river delta that is at sea level or very close. The W020N40.DEM file at 5.83165N 0.6101E shows the height as 42 meters whereas it is actually 0 meters as shown by N05E000.hgt.

I am sure this is because of the datum reference which is shown as WGS84 with units of DD. Does anybody know what this (DD) stands for?

TIA
Nigel

amyking
(Stranger )
12/07/05 05:36 AM
Re: GIS data new [re: Nigel]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

DD stands for decimal degrees.

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Trimble
CADalog.com - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy