GISCafe
   >> Data and Metadata
Thread views: 18543 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Tscholten
(Stranger )
05/18/07 07:58 AM
Classifying attribute data Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I am trying to assign a number code to high schools (nominal data). I have created a new field, but when I go to calculate values, I have problems. I want to assign 1 = Smith High School, 2 = Jones High School, etc. When I go to run the calculation I get "Error running VBA Code". It appears that I need to check the advanced button and insert a VBA script, but I have no idea what this would involve. I have visited ESRI for solutions, but no luck. Can anyone shed light on this?

scrabblehack
(Stranger )
05/29/07 06:26 AM
Re: Classifying attribute data new [re: Tscholten]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

What are you using? It sounds like ArcGIS with VBA -- but then you want to avoid using that?

Maybe use AML or Avenue?

Carolien
(Stranger )
08/01/07 08:33 AM
Re: Classifying attribute data new [re: Tscholten]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

You should write the text in between " ": 1 = "Smith High School", etc.

Perhaps that helps?

pesch26
(Stranger )
09/04/07 06:06 AM

For a simple calculation, you may need a field with one of the attributes.  If you have numbers, you can select all the 1's and calculate values to equal "Smith High School".  If you have a table with the names, import it into Access using the import wizard,  and add an identifier field.  Are numbers already assigned to a school?  If so, that may invlolve an if, then, else statement.  One last question, is the type of data you want to enter the same as the field type?   

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Trimble
CADalog.com - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy