GISCafe
   >> Data and Metadata
Thread views: 31463 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

joemills
(Stranger )
07/25/03 07:39 AM
General GIS data questions Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Just a few questions for the pros from a newcomer.

If I want to capture coordinates in a database of locations, what datatype and/or precision is the best or most common to use?

Also, I capture facet number from the local appraisal district but I am not sure of any uses for it other than at the appraisal district. Does anyone know of uses or users of the facet number or even what a facet number is?

Thanks!

otaviomacedo
(Stranger )
06/06/05 01:42 PM
Re: General GIS data questions new [re: joemills]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

What kind of locations are you talking about? Addresses in a city for navigational purposes? If this is the case, up to 1 meter is an acceptable error, so using an integer type can be used, rather than real types, therefore using less memory.

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Trimble
Teledyne Optech
University of Denver GIS Masters Degree Online
CADalog.com - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy