GISCafe
   >> Business Geographics
Thread views: 23485 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Satyajit_air
(Stranger )
03/17/04 09:35 PM
Cost Effective WebGIS solution new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hi folks,
With the increase in the amount of GIS data shared on net, our institution is also taking a plunge in it. We have some GIS data in ESRI shapefile format. The requirement is to
make this data available this data to users through net. We want to simply display a static map and let users pan and zoom. The users would also be able to select an area based on a search criteria.Since this is not for any commercial purpose we won't be able to make use of the costly softwares like ArcIMS or Autodesk Mapguide for this project. I am looking for a cost effective solution to acheive this. I understand that I'll have to use an application server, a databse server and a spatial server. Can anyone please suggest me a right combination which is cost effective. I certainly don't expect a large of number of hits on
my site but it should be reliable. Will any opensource solution suffice my requirement ?

There are so many opensource/free solutions mentioned on the site that, its confusing as which one I should consider.

I would also like to know if there are any organizations which has ready to use ASP set up to host web sites that are capable of showing maps. In that case I could just buy the space from them.

Thanks in anticipation

debasishs
(Stranger )
03/07/07 09:26 AM
Re: Cost Effective WebGIS solution [re: Satyajit_air]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Check out http://spatialwms.sourceforge.net for more details.

vasanthreddy
(Stranger )
05/31/07 04:34 AM
Open GIS Consortium new [re: Satyajit_air]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

hai,
i have been developing web applications using Arc IMS, Arc SDE, Arc GIS Server, .net. As you mentioned, usage of these ESRI products is costly. But there are some options to develop a cheap web GIS application. Oracle MAP Viewer is equivalent to Arc IMS and the RDBMS that best fits is Oracle spatial. Oracle MAP viewer is a free ware. Oracle spatial costs around 10K US Dollars(I dont know exactly). these two
can give you editing and geoprocessing functionalities.whats more needed? Java is the default IDE I recommend for this task. More over these applications are said to be faster and reliable than SDE.I would Like to refer this web site for further queries
www.igsasolutions.com.

thanks and Regards

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Trimble
Teledyne Optech
CADalog.com - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy