GISCafe
   >> GIS Education
Thread views: 16957 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

markhowe
(Stranger )
06/12/08 11:17 AM
Making x-y data visible in the attribute table Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I have a point shapefile which obviously has x-y data locating the points but no actual fields for lon/lat.

I have other points I would like to edit in as well as make corrections for points for which I have x-y data in the form of lon/lat decimal degrees.

Is there a way I can force a point shapefile to display fields showing lon/lat?

Or is there a way to extract a spreadsheet from the shapefile with columns for lon/lat?

I will be grateful for any ideas; thanks, Mark

Mark Howe
Marine Science Tech from Dana Point Harbor, CA
949-496-3453

jgarner
(Stranger )
06/18/08 08:14 AM
Re: Making x-y data visible in the attribute table new [re: markhowe]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Mark -

Depends on what software you're using as to how to go about this.  "Making the data visible" in a table is not an intuitive software function - you have to make it happen.  Every software suite must have the tools to allow you to generate these values.  Look it up in HELP.

What ever software you're using, you'll have to make sure that the data has been projected to LL or DD if you want meaningful results.

If you are using ESRI products, reproject your data to DD "Geographic", open the data table, create new fields for DDX and DDY (numeric double, precision:16, scale:8), right click on the field header and use the 'calculate geometry' feature - make sure you choose the correct format from the drop-down menu.  Alternately, for Lat,Long, create new fields for LLX and LLY (text, length 20), again make sure you choose the correct format.

Good Luck!  Other questions, repost.

DataSmash
(Stranger )
06/19/08 05:43 AM
Re: Making x-y data visible in the attribute table new [re: markhowe]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Use the 'AddXY' tool in ArcToolBox.

markhowe
(Stranger )
06/20/08 12:35 PM
Re: Making x-y data visible in the attribute table new [re: DataSmash]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Great idea!!

At school using ArcView 9.2 it worked great; even went to nine decimal places which is a lot more than I thought possible.

At home it consistently crashed the program. No doubt because I am running 9.1 on Vista. I think I have had the same problem with other tools out of the toolbox. Thanks.

Mark Howe
Marine Science Tech from Dana Point Harbor, CA
949-496-3453

ebnesom
(Stranger )
06/26/08 07:05 AM

In 9.2 there is now a calculate geometry function. Just select the field right click and choose the calculate geometry.

However it should be noted that when you move a point this does not update the x-y field.

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Trimble
Teledyne Optech
University of Denver GIS Masters Degree Online
CADalog.com - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy