GISCafe
   >> GIS Education
Thread views: 12216 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

jbear0000
(Stranger )
06/26/08 04:44 AM
Movable project? Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I am using ArcMap 9.2. I am very new to using this software and have no training on using it. I am also new at the company I work for and the people that knew this software left before I came. So I am here with hundred's of projects that were created in ArcMap that need to be worked on from time to time. So please bear with me if this is a newbie question or just impossible.

We are basically the sewer authority office for one of the local boroughs. We have an ArcMap project that uses shape files for the borough boundary, parcels, the sewer manholes and the sewer lines. Within the sewer manhole shape file I created a field that has links to inspection reports for each manhole. These reports are Microsoft Word documents, there are about 250 of them. Everything works great and looks good. The files are all located on our server, in our office. Our engineer would like to take the .MXD file and show some of the people at the township building how the map is linked to the inspection reports. So what is the best way to go about doing this? If I burn a CD of all the files or place them on a flash drive I'll have to change the project and the manhole shape file so they look for the shape files and the word documents on the CD drive or the flash drive, but when that CD or flash drive is used on a different computer the drive letter could be different. Is there some kind of tool that can pack all of these files into one neat little package or zip file or whatever? Is there a way to make the references to the shape files and word documents pathless and just place them in the same folder as the .MXD file?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

RemyAutz
(Stranger )
06/26/08 06:45 AM
Re: Movable project? new [re: jbear0000]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Newbie:

Let's deal with the 250 word documents first. If the hyperlinks you are using now refer to a drive letter and path rather than a URL, I would recommend putting the word documents on a Web page that can be accessed from anywhere. That way, the path would not have to be changed from place to place. I realize you may have security issues. Perhaps the Web page could be activated only during the time when it is actually going to be accessed.

Another option would be to use an install program to load the documents in the same place on C:\ drive no matter who is using them. Any change in the path and it would not work.

On the Map Document itself, you need to check the source of the feature classes (layers) you are using. Go to the bottom of the table of contents and click source. Let me know what you find. For a map document to be movable, the files it points to must be loaded in the same folder as the map document.

I will give you detailed instructions when you reply to: env119273295@gmail.com

Remy Autz
GIS Trainer/Consultant
GISUCANDOIT

jgarner
(Stranger )
06/27/08 08:32 AM
Re: Movable project? new [re: jbear0000]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

First off, IF you have paid for the additional support from ESRI, I suggest that you contact ESRI Support, describe to them what you want to do and they can assist you, step-by-step as to how to go about what you want to accomplish. If you haven't, recommend that your office get it! It's well worth the cost.

Second, it will be impossible to directly move your project to other locations in your office simply because an MXD can't be read directly by any other software but ArcMap, unless:

-you have a server-based floating license, in which case you can open your project from anywhere ArcMap is installed/accessible, OR

-you have enough copies of ArcMap to load it on any computer you care to.-if you have either one of these cases, check out the "MXD Packager" script on ESRI's Downloads site.-At first impression, either case doesn't sound likely in your office.

HOWEVER, there are a number of ways to indirectly accomplish what you want and that is through the use of EXTERNAL FREE VIEWERS from a number of sources.

-Check out ESRI's own ArcExplorer (FREE). I am fairly certain that it supports hotlinks. There are tools available in the downloads section on ESRI's site which will allow you to take one of your MXDs and create an ArcExplorer-compatible project file. You can write the project and the program to a CD and install/run it anywhere.

-MapWindow developed at Utah State is another third party program to use (also free).

-A WWW search for FREE GIS will reveal a whole host of other FREE RESOURCES! Simply [sic] re-build your project(s) to be compatible with whatever viewer you choose and you're off and running.

Check out ESRI FIRST; they're your best bet. Good Luck!

cbrecken
(Stranger )
07/01/08 08:02 AM

The first problem is the hyperlink documents.  Using the ArcGis Desktop Help search for "Adding hyperlinks to features".  It tells you several ways to set up your hyperlinks using relative path names.  What has worked best for me is the method where all of the Word documents are in the same directory.  You then set the properties for the .mxd to point to that directory.  Your engineer might have to edit that one spot once he copies the files to the computer he is using for the demo, but at least it is not 250!

Then use one of the scripts from ESRI's download pages for making a project portable.  That should package the shapefiles, etc. into something you can take. 

Hope that helps.

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Trimble
CADalog.com - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy