GISCafe
   >> GIS Education
Thread views: 10375 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

formercane
(Stranger )
07/02/08 09:16 AM
Symbolizing Data with Cities Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I have a spreadsheet full of random cities, and my boss has asked me to symbolize the data for these cities.  Each city has a quantity associated with it and I have a map of the United States.  Thats it.  I need to figure out how to get the cities on the map (and they aren't MAJOR cities either) and how to symbolize them by color (each color representing a range of quantities).  Any advice would be great!  Thanks.

lilli
(Stranger )
07/03/08 07:12 AM
Re: Symbolizing Data with Cities new [re: formercane]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

The ESRI Data & Maps DVDs have both point and polygon shape files for US Cities.  If you don't find your cities there, try the "Populated Places" points and area files.  You can also get "city" shape files from http://www.census.gov/geo/www/cob/bdy_files.html; again, if you don't find it listed in the Consolidated Cities files, try the Incorporated Places/Census Designated Places files.

One problem is you will be doing an attribute join based on string matching of the city name and names can vary.  For example, the CA city of Ventura is really the city of San Buenaventura.  It may be necessary to manually match some of your cities, and probably would be best to use the FIPS or an AreaKey field to do this.

Once your data is joined to a shape file, symbolizing it is easy and the options are vast.  Polygon files can be used for thematic mapping but with multiple cities you might prefer to use point files and perhaps graduated points (the size of the symbol reflects the value of the variable to be mapped).

Good Luck - Lilli

NotYourAvgJoe
(Stranger )
07/10/08 08:35 AM
Re: Symbolizing Data with Cities new [re: formercane]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

This link will give you an example of what you want to do (I think) -

http://www.businessmap.com/news/arcuser/0703/files/mossman.pdf

This article was in ArcUser Magazine July/Sept 2003.  I've adapted these symbol sets for other uses.

Not Your Avg Joe

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Trimble
CADalog.com - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy