GISCafe
   >> GIS Education
Thread views: 16925 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

lem09
(Stranger )
09/05/08 02:44 PM
Urgent help needed: GIS or geodesy course? Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hi there. I have been offered a place on GIS masters course, and a place to study for a geodesy and engineering postgraduate diploma. Both are accredited with the RICS and the geodesy course with the ICES. I need to choose between them and employment prospects is the most important factor.

Right now I know practically nothing about computers: what sort of problem would that be for work with GIS? Is a qualification in either GIS or geodesy relevant to looking for work in commercial surveying? What is the job market like for people graduating with a qualification in GIS relative to geodesy? 

Thanks for any responses, I only have something like 2 days to decide.

Lem09

RemyAutz
(Stranger )
09/06/08 07:21 AM
Re: Urgent help needed: GIS or geodesy course? new [re: lem09]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

From what you have provided us so far, I am not concerned as much about your employability as your preparation for these courses. If you know nothing about computers, you'll need a year to overcome that. How much do you know about Engineering? What kind of communication and interpersonal skills do you have? Where in the world do you want to work?

Remy Autz
GIS Trainer/Consultant
GISUCANDOIT

lem09
(Stranger )
09/06/08 05:07 PM
Re: Urgent help needed: GIS or geodesy course? new [re: RemyAutz]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

oh my thank you for the reply. the GIS course is a conversion course so I do not think that my lack of knowledge will be a problem [i am familiar with computers through the use of internet but that is it]. i am not familiar with engineering so yes that is a worry, as the course is meant for science/engineering graduates [i graduated with a psychology and philosophy of science degree].

re employment i am quite sure i would prefer to work in surveying proper, measurement and the like; that was what attracted me to the courses, alongside a vague interest in GIS. my communication and interpersonal skills are not beyond reproach: i have worked with people before [a job as a hospital porter] but self expression is close to my worst skill. do not misunderstand i am certainly somewhat bright [i was a medical student actually] but things have worsened since then.

afaict i have answered your questions; i look forward to a reply!

lem09

RemyAutz
(Stranger )
09/06/08 08:39 PM
Re: Urgent help needed: GIS or geodesy course? new [re: lem09]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

If you want to work in surveying and measurement, the geodesy route would actually be best. Surveyors need some engineering and CAD background. Surveyors are beginning to use GIS, but GIS alone won't get you an entry-level position.

GIS is fun and allows more creative thinking than Surveying. Working with overlaid layers of geographic features and their attributes allows you to ask and answer lots of questions. If you are going to do GIS today, you will need a good computer, some student software, and lots of practice. But it is a user of Survey data, not Surveying itself.

Surveyors work in a world that is well-structured. There are acceptable ways of doing things that have become standard. You won't need as many communication skills.  Geodesy explains how absolute locations are measured on the earth. It is definitely more appropriate for a surveyor looking for a first job.

Remy Autz
GIS Trainer/Consultant
GISUCANDOIT

lem09
(Stranger )
09/07/08 12:21 PM
Re: Urgent help needed: GIS or geodesy course? new [re: RemyAutz]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Again, thanks for the reply. You say that "Surveyors are beginning to use GIS, but GIS alone won't get you an entry-level position". If I can do this GIS course, and still make myself competitive for junior surveying positions, that might be my preference. Do you know what might be good coupled with a GIS masters, that would let me apply for jobs that involve the actual capture of data? 

And can you say what finding a GIS job might be like for a graduate with little prior knowledge of computers? I might rethink my preference for surveying work, as that preference is only really based on the appeal of technical work outside an office away from computers and the like. 

Thanks,

Lem09

RemyAutz
(Stranger )
09/07/08 05:20 PM

To be competitive for junior level surveyor, take courses in trigonometry and surveying and, possibly, geodesy.  A different route would be to look for Trimble survey-grade GPS training.

Most GIS Masters degrees are aimed at making you a GIS Manager.  So you'll be wise to take some undergraduate physical geography or cartography course with it. Perhaps get an internship working alongside a GIS analyst.

To prepare for the capture of data: obviously, surveying is one.  Natural sciences, like soils, agriculture, forestry, hydrography, hydrology, environmental monitoring .... plus today you should consider homeland security.  Pick one that you know is in demand where you want to live.

Remy Autz
GIS Trainer/Consultant
GISUCANDOIT

lem09
(Stranger )
09/08/08 05:17 PM

Hello again, I have not yet decided.

I think you are right that the GIS course seems more fun than the geodesy one. But I can't choose the GIS masters because I do not how much study I will need to add to it in order to find GIS work, especially GIS work away from an office environment.

If you cannot answer these questions it may not matter so much as I have been offered a place to study mapping which is somewhat of a compromise between fun and surveying type work.

Thanks

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Trimble
CADalog.com - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy