GISCafe
   >> GIS Education
Thread views: 3720 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

dtarasov
(Stranger )
07/27/11 06:32 AM
Geography or Information Technology? Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I have been trying to get an answer to this question on this forum and elsewhere, but without success so far. And I need an answer soon. If one intends to study GIS at the graduate level, should he get a bachelor's in geography or information technology? I've been hearing both opinions. Universities definitely tend to treat GIS as a branch of geography. Yet I've heard (from someone who works in information technology but doesn't know much about GIS) that what I need to learn is programming, and that I can learn all the programming I need for this at any community college -- no need for a master's. Which side is closer to the truth?

Thank you all in advance for answering this.

dr_nadia
(Stranger )
07/27/11 09:43 PM
Re: Geography or Information Technology? new [re: dtarasov]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

GIS is a hybrid of Geography and Information technology. It exist in both disciplines but the research interests are different in both. The basic concepts of GIS about the data types, development issues and analytical methods all are from Geography. While the software side (all tools and software interface) is from Information Technology.

Now it depends what you have already studied, like basic Geographic concepts (about location, maps and Spatial analysis) or basic concepts of Information Technology.

If you are interested in software development and programming then your choice must be Information Technology. If you are more interested in Analysis and Geographic research then Geography will be your right discipline. It all depends upon your interest, you can choose any of them as per your aptitude.

Good Luck!

dtarasov
(Stranger )
07/28/11 04:05 AM
Re: Geography or Information Technology? new [re: dr_nadia]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Thank you for answering my question! I've already studied a little bit of both basic geographic concepts and information technology. Just to make sure that I understood everything correctly, what are some of the fields in which spatial analysis and geographic research is used?

Thank you once again.

dr_nadia
(Stranger )
08/10/11 01:56 AM
Re: Geography or Information Technology? new [re: dtarasov]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Spatial Analysis and geographic research has multiple uses and can be applied in all fields. like some of the projects that I handled were related to environmental impact assessment, natural hazard monitoring, pollution monitoring, change detection in land use, time-lapse changes in customer behaviors, analyzing possible new business outlets for Gasoline company, Gas load management planning, disease spread monitoring, urban planning, traffic accident monitoring and analysis, identification of traffic congestion hotspots, demographic studies, utility network mapping for managment and planning (for telecom, Sewerage, Water, Electricity and gas networks) and many more.

Whe I was working in a consulting firm that was basically related to infrastructure, dams and bridges construction and urban planning, I have participated in each and every project as GIS analyst and used GIS to prepare feasibility reports and other analyses.

Basically where ever the location is involved, spatial analysis and geographical analysis automatically involves in it. The fields of application are very vast and dynamic, it all depends upon the type and quality of data you are using.

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Optech
softmouse 3D
CADalog.com - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Click here for Internet Business Systems © 2014 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 210, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408) 850-9202 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and EngineeringEDACafe - Electronic Design AutomationTechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes	MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and EngineeringShareCG  - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy