GISCafe
   >> GIS Education
Thread views: 15089 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Contourable
(Stranger )
03/25/07 06:53 PM
Merging o/lapping polygon sets, & removing dup's Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I am slowly learning skills in ArcGIS 9.2 but I'm having trouble knowing what the best way to approach this problem might be. Any help or tips however brief or otherwise would be greatly appreciated! :)

I have exported some parcel data (polygon shapefiles) from an application which only allows exports up to a certain scale. To end up with a dataset covering a larger area, I have had to export a few side-by-side "windows" of data - now I need to merge them into one.

The problem is that it was impossible to avoid some duplication of polygons where the different exports were adjacent to one another.

So now I'd like an efficient way to merge all of these exported shapefiles into one (shapefile/other? - I don't know what would be best but shapefile is fine, in lieu of anything better) - and getting rid of duplicated polygons in the overlapping regions at the same time. There is an "ID" field from which duplicate poly's can presumably be selected somehow.

Can anyone help please with a geoprocessing workflow or any tips on how to achieve this without having to tediously graphically select each (of the hundreds) of duplicate poly's and delete them manually?

Edited by Contourable on 03/25/07 06:53 PM.

Jump to

Optech
GIS Analyst
CADalog.com - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Click here for Internet Business Systems © 2014 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 210, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408) 850-9202 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and EngineeringEDACafe - Electronic Design AutomationTechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes	MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and EngineeringShareCG  - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy