GISCafe
   >> GIS Education
Thread views: 17045 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

formercane
(Stranger )
02/22/08 12:11 PM
simple newbie question! Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

How would i go about making a map of the United States with each state representing a different percentage?  I would ideally like to do a gradient scale for each color, like 0-5%, 6-10% etc.  I have the data in an excel file (where each state has a percentage assigned) and just need to figure out how to get it into ArcGIS to manipulate it.  Any advice is greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

etownsen
(Stranger )
02/24/08 07:27 AM
Re: simple newbie question! new [re: formercane]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I be interested as well. I don't think ArcGIS reads .xls files though, I am not sure.

Furthermore is there a way to load ascii files with data into ArcGIS? If the data contains long and lat... Should be possible but haven't figured the format out.

geomike
(Stranger )
02/25/08 06:38 AM
Re: simple newbie question! new [re: formercane]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Formercane:

To classify your states by percentages, join the states layer in ArcMap to either a DBF, Excel file or Access table based on either the state FIPS (make sure your table has the FIPS in a text format) or the state abbreviation.  If you right click the layer, choose the "Join" option, join based on table attributes. 

You then have your table of data "linked" to your states layer, and can classify based on any value, or percentage range you like. 

etownsen:  If you're using ArcView 9.2 it does read .xls files just like a DBF, or Access file.  I would convert your ascii to a DBF or import it to MS Access though.  Using Access, it will link the table in but you can't select the data in the table if using x, y point data.  To be able to select the point data, link it in from access and then export it to a shapefile.  If you bring the data in from a DBF or Excel you can select it.  I prefer working with DBFs when using point layers because you can select the data, and when you update the source table (keeping the file name the same) it updates on the fly in ArcView. 

Enjoy!

markhowe
(Stranger )
03/28/08 12:01 PM
Re: simple newbie question! new [re: etownsen]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

In 9.1 we had our best luck using dbf4.  We were starting out with an Excel file and saving lon/lat in decimal degrees to 5 or 6 places.  Then "save as" a dbf4 being very careful to maintain the format of an attribute table; 10 char in the field name row 1 with no spaces, formatting checked and double checked, only the area saved that has the table, etc.  If you do all of that it should show up as a table in ArcCat and be addable to your table of contents, but don't be discouraged if you have to do it 5 times before it works.    :-(

Not familiar with asci spreadsheets, but if you can get it as a comma deliminated file [.cvs] which is pretty primitive, you should be able to do a "save as" into a dbf4.  At one point we had to go to cvs format to get small integers to come across with the decimal degrees. 

This all seems to be tied in with the layer field properties.  You can see them on the field tab and you will notice that lon/lat runs double, length 12, precision 12, scale 6 [at least thats what I see] but if you get 19, 9, 0 for those readings it doesn't work.  I have just been playing with it until it works, but I never know what made it work.  And I haven 't figured if I can change the properties somewhere.

Anybody else?

One other thing; be sure your data frame properties are in the same decimal degree system because if it takes your xy data in meters, you will be in a very different place.  Same with remembering western hemisphere longitude is negative.

Mark Howe
Marine Science Tech from Dana Point Harbor, CA
949-496-3453

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Trimble
CADalog.com - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy