GISCafe
   >> GIS Education
Thread views: 18364 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

markhowe
(Stranger )
03/28/08 12:53 PM
Symbology with pie graphs Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I have made a trawl on station at sea and have a table of fish species, their size class, and number count per size class.  I want a single pie diagram, for a given species/trawl, showing the proportion of the total count for each size class.  My rows are the fish; the fields are size class and counts plus xy data [lon/lat]

This same symbology could be used for showing a comparison of the diversity of species with each piece of pie representing a species.  Another way to represent this might be a histogram symbol.  I could also crank in another field with a representation for biomass based on the size class length.

And finally, after going thru my list and assigning each fish species a special color, I want the system to remember it so I don't have to do it each time.

[I can see how this could be done by transposing the rows and the fields but I have thousands of rows/ records.]

My brain starts to get indigestion every time I think about how to do this in the symbology of ArcMap.  Any ideas anyone?

Mark Howe
Marine Science Tech from Dana Point Harbor, CA
949-496-3453

markhowe
(Stranger )
06/12/08 11:44 AM
Re: Symbology with pie graphs new [re: markhowe]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I have created symbology but it required a very tedious process.

First I take the original datasheet containing all species, counts and sizes. I create a shapefile for this data which I can then dissolve to get total counts and mean size per species. Then this shape must be exported back to a spreadsheet (or extracted in spreadsheet form) and transposed so that all of the individual species have their own field containing mean size and count. The station, date, and lon/lat remain as fields. This is extremely laborious. I must then make this back into a shape, export it to make it durable, and then create the graph symbology to put into the map. After all of this I only have one pair of graphs.

An incidental problem is that when the graph is put onto the map, it is in the wrong place.

Mark Howe
949-496-3453

johanbonne
(Stranger )
06/13/08 07:09 AM
Re: Symbology with pie graphs new [re: markhowe]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

can you send me a demo "trawl" dataset?

markhowe
(Stranger )
06/20/08 12:55 PM

In ArcView 9.2 there is a tool for transposing time fields into time records in order to create an animation.  It does not appear in 9.1.  What I need is a tool that does the opposite; transposes selected records into fields.

Mark Howe
949-496-3453

RemyAutz
(Stranger )
06/24/08 12:02 AM

Sounds like you could use subtotals by type of fish. In the ArcGIS attribute table, if you right click on a field that provides TYPE, one of the choices you have is to summarize. Take a look, you may find what you are looking for.

Remy Autz
GIS Trainer/Consultant
GISUCANDOIT

markhowe
(Stranger )
06/24/08 05:52 AM
Re: Symbology with pie graphs new [re: RemyAutz]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Thanks Remy;

Very interesting as a much simpler way to "dissolve" the records; I wonder if that is its intent.  But it still doesn't solve the problem of the pie graph in symbology.  I still need a way to transpose the fish records to fields to be able to make charts but still keep the [unchanged] date and spatial data.  Seems like this would be a tool similar to the one for animating time lapse in 9.2 only backwards [the only item that shows up under help].

Mark Howe
949-496-3453

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Topcon
Senior Sales Representative
GIS Analyst
CADalog.com - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.
HPSA Designations and GIS Manager

Click here for Internet Business Systems © 2014 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 210, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408) 850-9202 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and EngineeringEDACafe - Electronic Design AutomationTechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes	MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and EngineeringShareCG  - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy