GISCafe
   >> GIS - Remote Sensing; Imagery
Thread views: 88525 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

rsuser
(Stranger )
10/06/05 07:24 AM
Which remote sensing software do you recommend? Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hi all,

I just landed a contract to do some environmental risk montioring, including some crop and forest mapping. I will be involving a number of contractors, however, I need to first decide on what software to buy. I have heard good things about Geomatica (PCI's product) and ERDAS - what do you recommend and why? Is one better than the other, cheaper, better support?

Many thanks,

Dave

gis_user
(Stranger )
10/14/05 09:18 AM
Re: Which remote sensing software do you recommend? new [re: rsuser]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Frankly, I'm nervous that you got such a contract without any experience with these (or other) software products. I suggest you PAY someone to help you with this aspect of the project since cost and support are likely not the most important in selecting software.

issa
(Stranger )
10/15/05 08:29 PM
Re: Which remote sensing software do you recommend? new [re: rsuser]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

hi,
I haven't used PCI, but according to my experience i prefer ERMapper, easier to learn and to navigate, beside having lots of functionality and algorithms. Fast.
Issa

USAMapper
(Stranger )
12/08/05 11:18 PM

IDRISI Kilimanjaro is well worth the $1000 US.

digitalinfosys
(Stranger )
12/02/06 11:31 AM

hi dave
how r u ?
i think you must use ERDAS. becouse it has many facilty to enhance the images. for geo coding is better and improve the quality of the images. cut the image as per requirement. you must go for ERDAS. it could be littel bit expancive. but it is good

rahul@digitalinfosys.net
www.digitalinfosys.net

atdaniels
(Stranger )
12/26/06 06:50 AM

Hi Dave, I am also a wee bit surprised and concerned about the fact that you are undertaking this sort of project with no experience. The selection of a software platform should depend on what is the most critical aspect of your project. Is the remotely sensed information multispectral? Are you doing spectral analysis? If so, ENVI is also a really great piece of software you should evaluate. Are you integrating your results with GIS? Doing feature extraction, 3-D analysis, basic spectral analysis? Georeferencing existing photographs, maybe historical ones? Then I would say perhaps Leica Geosystems Imagine is the better choice. As far as PCI, ERMapper and IDRISI, they all have their strengths and weaknesses too. Maybe you should ask for a 30 day evaluation copy of each one and see which one fits your needs. I would also advise you hire an expert to help you, especially if you would like repeat business from your customer. :-)

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Trimble
Teledyne Optech
CADalog.com - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy