GISCafe
   >> GIS Tools
Thread views: 11914 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

scraig
(Stranger )
01/03/09 10:26 AM
Is desktop GIS dead? Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

With substantial advances in web maps and web-based GIS is desktop GIS dead?

I've read a lot about the chaning technologies and seems like they may just still be a place for desktop GIS, I certainly think so being a ESRI user for many years! But, changes are happening fast - and I am not a web developer - yet! Maybe I should be to keep up!

What are peoples' thoughts? See below:

SCraig - London, UK

Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and Web maps are not new, they are tools that allow easy and fast access to your business information.

However, GIS-related technologies are developing faster than ever before! With the right tools and strategy GIS is now accessible to all.

Some drivers for this rapid change include:

Rapid performance increases in IT systems and connection speeds

Industry standards, such as those set by the Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC)

Integration of technologies such as mobile/cell phones with location-based services (LBS) and GPS

Web 2.0 creates a participatory, [censored] user experience

‘Mash-ups’ - the merging of info or content from separate locations into one place

The influence of Google Earth and Microsoft Virtual Earth on the GIS industry

The emergence of the Geospatial Web or 'Geoweb'

Convergence of CAD, GIS and BIM technologies

Source: http://geoenable.com

Brad Dre
(Stranger )
01/07/09 05:32 PM
Re: Is desktop GIS dead? new [re: scraig]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I've been wondering the same thing.  Two ways this can go in my mind:

1) the supernet is built out and will be free and we won't worry about how many bytes we're shovelling across the link.  If so, then why not get served tiles by a mapping server?  Great advantages like the map data exists in one place and can be updated easily.  But, even so, there are still plenty of unconnected applications and lo-speed link applications, and always will be.

2) free, ubiquitious supernet or not there will always be applications that don't or can't use it.

So, my conclusion is that desktop GIS is not dead.

Brad Dre

pbeaty
(Stranger )
06/19/09 08:47 AM
Re: Is desktop GIS dead? new [re: scraig]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

As for ERDAS IMAGINE, sales are higher than ever before. ERDAS Image Webserver and ERDAS APOLLO are growing fast too. But desktop is not dead.

BizMark
(Stranger )
06/23/09 05:39 PM

The on demand approach is already extending to GIS analytics, too.  The Pitney Bowes Anysite solutions, for example, is easy to use, requires little knowledge fo GIS applications and is ideal for non technical users. 

SuperMap
(Stranger )
09/01/09 12:12 AM

SuperMap Desktop GIS is the most ready and easy-to-use yet professional GIS that you can get so far. Further based on different type of users, we provide 4 Desktop GIS products as shown here:http://www.supermap.com

Edited by SuperMap on 09/01/09 01:04 AM.

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Trimble
Teledyne Optech
University of Denver GIS Masters Degree Online
CADalog.com - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy