>> GIS Tools
Thread views: 37977 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

(Stranger )
06/27/02 01:46 PM
Proximity Searching Tools - areas/lines new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I am new to GIS so please excuse any terminology mistakes.

I am working on a travel application geared towards outdoor recreation. I am trying to find a program that will do allow me to do proximity searches. Most of the proximity searching tools I have found seem to be geared toward specific addresses. My application deals not only with points but also lines and areas. I am going to be geocoding (using longitude and latitudes) the location of trailheads, visitor centers, ghost towns and the like. I also would like to be able to geocode the route (line) for scenic drives and the areas for attractions like parks and forests.

I would like the application to be able to do the following:
1) show me all the trailheads with in an area (like Yellowstone National Park)
2) Show me all the attractions, trailheads and related point/areas that are adjacent to or within 5-10 miles of a scenic drive (line or route)
3) Show me all the attractions (areas), scenic drives (lines/routes) and trailhead within 20 miles of a specific town (point reference to a town like Aspen).

Anyone know of any programs or tools that will handle my requirements? Also, can anyone recommend a good resource for a beginner to better understand the issues related to geocoding areas and lines (as opposed to single points).

Diane Greer

(Stranger )
07/17/02 05:27 AM
Re: Proximity Searching Tools - areas/lines [re: dianegreer]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

In what form do you intend to deliver the results of such queries ? Is this going to be a public-access web application ? Do you need to show the results on a map ? How big a system would this be (how many users, how much data, etc)

Most client/server GIS tools let you do those kind of things. Spatial databases also have this capability.

(Stranger )
07/24/02 05:49 AM
Re: Proximity Searching Tools - areas/lines new [re: dianegreer]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Diane I am taking courses in GIS so am not an expert but there is a script available that is called "Nearest" and this works on point line poly queries and will assist in proximity work.

This can be found under the help menu look at sample scripts and then just click on the nearest script or the one that describes this analysis of proximity and load it into a new script by either copy and paste or reference a file you may store it in.....and then compile it (hit the check button) and then click on the layer view or scene that you are working in and then back to the script and hit the run button (looks like a person running) and this will create a table of reference values...You'll be prompted first for a "source theme", and then a "search theme". You must decide what is what by your search needs (say nearest camp ground from park theme)
When prompted for a "search field", choose a field in your table (camp sites ID)

Last, when prompted for a "search value", choose type of camp site or type of item in the list in your tables search field.

Considering the amount of time ago that you asked this question you may have already discovered this but in any case hope this is food for thought.

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Teledyne Optech
University of Denver GIS Masters Degree Online
Teledyne: - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy