>> GIS Tools
Thread views: 1964 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

(Stranger )
11/29/11 09:41 AM
Tools for creating a routing app Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Please forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this kind of question. As a programmer, I am finding the world of GIS to be somewhat overwhelming.

I have been tasked with doing some research on a potential product. It is a web application that is to provide maps of our location (call it a campus), and it is also to provide driving directions between any two buildings on campus. Nothing too fancy.

To me, the obvious solution is just to use the Google Maps API. It is quick and easy, and it does mostly what we need it to do. The only issue is that Google does not have address data on our campus, but that can be solved by using the latitude and longitude of each building. Google Maps appears to be able to get driving directions just fine.

I was wondering, though, if there was a possible solution using available GIS software. There is a possibility that our clients will want more control over their data than Google provides. Obviously this means creating our own maps and writing a lot more of our own code.

The solution can be either commercial or open source (I am personally biased towards open source). I have come across MapServer, GeoServer, and MapGuide. As I understand it, those platforms just serve up the maps and associated data. What I can't seem to find are libraries or packages that compute routes or find directions.

So, are there any solutions out there that can do this kind of thing? Are there any that are tailor-made for this? Or will I need to glue a few things together?

Jump to

Teledyne: - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy