GISCafe
   >> GIS Tools
Thread views: 29394 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Satyajit_air
(Stranger )
03/17/04 12:38 AM
Cost effective WebGIS new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

HI folks,
With the increasing sharing of GIS data on net, our institution is also taking a plunge in it. We have some GIS data in ESRI shapefile format. The requirement is to make this data available to users through net. We want to simply display a static map and let users pan and zoom with layers on/off functionalities. The users would also be able to select an area based on a search criteria.Since this is not for any commercial purpose we won't be able to make use of the costly softwares like ArcIMS or Autodesk Mapguide for this project. I am looking for a cost effective solution to acheive this. I understand that I'll have to use an application server, a databse server and a spatial server. Can anyone please suggest me a right combination which is cost effective. I certainly don't expect a large of number of hits on my site but it should be reliable. Will any opensource solution suffice my requirement ? There are so many opensource/free solutions mentioned on the site that, its confusing as which one I should consider.
Thanks in anticipation

andrewn
(Stranger )
07/22/04 11:36 AM
Re: Cost effective WebGIS [re: Satyajit_air]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Check out MapServer. It's a free OpenSource Map Server that runs on Unix/Linux and you can use Oracle, Sybase or MySQL for the database and PHP, PERL or Python for the scripting.

here's the link... http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Trimble
CADalog.com - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy