>> GIS Tools
Thread views: 80272 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

(Stranger )
09/21/01 05:59 AM
GIS choice new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I can't figure out whether I need to use GeoMedia Pro 4.0, ArcGIS 8.1 or MicroStationJ GeoGraphics for general purpose GIS + future extension for facilities management.
That would be great to hear any suggestions, especially quality over price information

(Stranger )
10/17/01 11:50 AM
Re: GIS choice new [re: alexey]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

ESRI is by far the bigger company and has many more options, however, that does not make it the better quality. An example is Microsoft compared to Macintosh. The Mac is a better quality operating system, however MS marketed itself better. Therefore, most people use Windows. If you want to be safe, go with ArcGIS, you will all the support you need to get started (like Windows).

(Stranger )
10/23/01 10:49 AM
Re: GIS choice new [re: alexey]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

If you don't want to spent thousands of dollars, do check out

or search for Manifold System.

This is a REALLY powerful GIS program, but unlike
ESRI ( or unlike M$ ) they don't do exhibitons etc. so the cost is WAY down.

They retail their product at $245.00 US!

Reading on their webpage, it appears to me that I way overpaid ESRI since some of the options available in Manifold aren't available.

Do check it out for yourself.

P.S. Manifold does import and export Shape and .e00 files as well as A LOT of other ones.

(Stranger )
11/01/01 10:51 PM

MS Geographics is a fledgling GIS. A pretty good AMFM tool but it's thematic tools are not as developed or as supported as those of ESRI. It's frustrating to not be able to turn on/off individual features (ex. fire hydrant #134). It is nice, however, to work within one software package. ESRI wants users to create graphics in a separate cad system, then open ESRI to perform GIS analysis.

(Stranger )
09/02/04 06:59 PM
Re: GIS choice [re: squangle]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I would recommend a product called Cadcorp SIS,, I have in the past used GeoMedia (which I quite Like, MapInfo, which is OK but limited and ESRI (Which has pretty a bad UI but good functionality and cost a bomb to get all the modules to do the serious stuff and link to RDBMS). I would say cadcorp SIS has the functionality of ArcInfo with all its modules and the ease of use of GeoMedia at the cost of MapInfo. I have played with Manifold which is also quite good as a general GIS tool.

It all comes down to what you want it to do. Interoprability, Editing, True 3D and Topology is probably Cadcorps strong points which is what I use and like.

Good luck with whatever you end up using

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Teledyne Optech
Teledyne: - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy