Looking for some ideas how to build the best computer for my 3D GIS, I recently just finished reading Jonathan’s article (http://www.geospatial-online.com/geospatialsolutions/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=118595) on spatial-specific hardware. Although I consider it a very good start on a so necessary exploration, I would like to have more detailed opinions from all the practitioners in the GIS field who care enough to understand “how each hardware component of a [machine] contributes to a [geo-] processing task.
So here are some of the questions/topics that I have in my mind at the moment:
1. What makes a computer the best machine for spatial applications?
2. What boosts the computing performance in 3D GIS arena?
3. What BUS-CPU-RAM-HDD-VIDEO assembly you wish to (em)power your machine?
4. How do you deal with that heat from the powerful processor(s) and video chip that you installed in your dream GIS workstation?
5. How about the noise level?
I know that these are not the only questions. Please ask yours and share your knowledge.