Exploit the advantages of Geographic Information Systems in yourbusiness
Once the domain of cartographers and other specialists,Geographic Information Systems (GIS) are increasingly beingemployed by the business community. Location-based services, supplychain management, management of field-distributed equipment,geographical marketing and promotion, and the spatial web are someof the current business applications which make use of GISprinciples.
Written specifically for the businessperson, Geo-Business:GIS in the Digital Organization is the first book to providecomprehensive coverage of GIS applications in the business andorganizational environment. Going beyond a strictlygeographical focus, this book sets GIS in the context of businessinformation systems and other business sub-disciplines such aslogistics, marketing, finance, and strategic management. Itpresents from an organizational perspective the advantages ofspatially enabling existing enterprise systems and illustrates howGIS is applied in the real world through rigorous case studyanalyses of twenty companies, including Baystate Health,Chico’s, Kaiser Permanente, Lamar Advertising Company, RandMcNally, Southern Company, Sears Roebuck, and Sperry Van Ness.
In this book, you’ll find out:
- What GIS is and how it can be integrated into yourorganization’s existing information infrastructure.
- How GIS is currently making businesses better, and how you canapply the same techniques to your industry or organization.
- The expanding roles of GIS and spatial technologies in the weband mobile environments.
- The ethical, legal, and security issues of specialtechnologies
- How to conduct a cost/benefit and ROI analyses for GIS.
Grounded in the real world of business and IT,Geo-Business will show you how spatially enabling your ITsystems can give you a unique advantage to beat your competitors inthe market, win and retain customers, grow your business, makebetter decisions, develop new products and services, and optimizeyour workflow.