Article source: Worldmap
The WorldMap platform is being developed by the Center for Geographic Analysis (CGA) at Harvard to lower barriers for scholars who wish to explore, visualize, edit, collaborate with, and publish geospatial information. WorldMap is Open Source software.
The system attempts to fill a growing niche between powerful desktop-bound mapping applications, and lightweight web map solutions with limited capacity.
If you find WorldMap data or technology useful in your research we would love to hear from you. Understanding how the system is being used and where it needs improvement is critical as we evolve the system together.
WorldMap provides researchers with the ability to:
- Upload large datasets and overlay them up with thousands of other layers
- Create and edit maps and link map features to rich media content
- Share edit or view access with small or large groups
- Export data to standard formats
- Make use of powerful online cartographic tools
- Georeference paper maps online (http://warp.worldmap.harvard.edu)
- Publish one’s data to the world or to just a few collaborators
Overview of WorldMap – a talk given to ABCD Harvard Technology group by Ben Lewis in November, 2011.