With Map Share, users can make changes directly to the map and receive TomTom-verified updates free of charge
CONCORD, Mass. — (BUSINESS WIRE) — December 20, 2010 — TomTom, the world’s leading provider of location and navigation solutions, announces that its newest update to the TomTom App for iPhone, version 1.6, includes TomTom Map Share™. With the addition of Map Share, TomTom continues to deliver the most up-to-date and accurate maps. The latest version of the TomTom App for iPhone is available on the App Store starting today.
TomTom Map Share enables iPhone users to make changes instantly to their own maps and to benefit from free, map updates made by the TomTom community and verified by TomTom. App users will now be able to edit street names, set driving directions and block and unblock streets directly on their maps, and to share their changes with the TomTom community. The TomTom App checks for new TomTom verified map updates including turn restrictions, speed limit changes and crossing changes, automatically every week or on-demand as often as the users choose. With Map Share, App users always have the most up-to-date map in between new map releases.
“We are pleased to bring TomTom’s exclusive Map Share technology already enjoyed by millions of TomTom GPS users everyday to our iPhone App,” said Tom Murray, senior vice president of market development for TomTom Inc. “With the addition of Map Share, TomTom App users will get free, verified updates via Map Share anytime on top of the most accurate map available on-board.”
TomTom Traffic for the App
With TomTom Traffic, TomTom App users receive real-time traffic updates and incident reports on their routes. As soon as any delay is found, users are notified and can be automatically re-routed to an alternate, faster route. TomTom Traffic for iPhone users is available via in-App purchase for an additional $19.99 for 12 months of service.
Availability and Price
The TomTom App for iPhone is available for purchase via the App Store. Continental and regional versions of the TomTom App are available today for iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G and iPod touch users at http://www.tomtom.com/tomtom-app.
Pricing varies by market. TomTom U.S.A. and U.S. & Canada Apps are currently available at a special price of $39.99 and $49.99, respectively.
TomTom App for iPhone runs on iOS 3 and iOS 4, however users should upgrade to iOS 4 to be able to take full advantage of the application’s features.
Notes to Editors
With the latest update to the App, users will continue to benefit from TomTom’s industry-leading navigation App features, including:
- Latest, most up-to-date maps* - TomTom maps include 1 million more miles of roads in the US than competitive maps and have been rated highest in quality and reliability. No mobile signal or data plan is required to browse the map and navigate to a destination.
- IQ Routes™ - Only TomTom uses actual speed data collected from millions of users to accurately calculate the travel time of a user’s route. It allows for rush hour, traffic lights and even shopping crowds. So no matter what time it is, a user can rely on IQ Routes to give accurate arrival-time information.
- Navigate-to-photo - A user can easily navigate to a location by selecting a photo stored in the iPhone gallery.
- Multitasking Functionality** - Allows a user to receive turn-by-turn directions while the iPhone is running other applications.
- Optimization for iPhone 4 - Takes full advantage of the capabilities of Apple’s latest iOS device, the App now delivers high resolution graphics, sharper maps, more-responsive menus and improved positioning even in areas with limited GPS reception.
- Announces Street Names - Provides turn-by-turn spoken directions and spoken street names.
- Advanced Lane Guidance – Gives extra clarity when navigating difficult junctions by showing the user which lane to take for an upcoming exit.
- Local Search - Allows a user to locate and route to countless points of interest (POIs) by tapping into the latest local Google listings from within the TomTom App.
Images are available.
About TomTom N.V.
TomTom N.V. (AEX: TOM2) is the world’s leading provider of location and
navigation solutions. Headquartered in the Netherlands it has over 3,000
employees worldwide. Over 45 million people use its solutions every day,
in the form of dedicated portable navigation devices (PNDs), in-dash car
systems or tracking and tracing solutions for fleet management. In
addition, hundreds of millions of people use TomTom’s digital maps on
the internet or mobile phones.